Haida Gwaii is one of a kind.



Well, I'm back on the mainland after 5 days of rainy rest. Ironically, most of the pictures below have some amount of blue sky, but the last picture is a more accurate representation of the majority of time I was on the island. I was very thankful for the blue sky respite on a couple of days because it allowed me to dry a few things out and snap some pics to share with you! The first picture is my beach. For 5 days, rain or shine, I shared this spot with no one else. It was surreal. 



I was able to travel as far north as Tow Hill and as far south as the town of Queen Charlotte (where I had an amazing lunch at a little hippie cafe called Queen B's.).  Every way you turn there is something spectacular to see and stop for (well, if you like nature things, that is.).





I had a great spot at Misty Meadows campground in Naikoon Provincial Park. It was nice to just be stationary for so many days in a row. It really helped me find my traveling groove.


This S'more was so perfect, I had to share it with you. Too bad you only get a one dimensional participation with it, because it was totally worth the other two dimensions. And you know, when you are traveling by yourself, or more importantly, NOT with children, you can use expensive, fancy, delicious chocolate, and YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SHARE. Oh, and lest you think I just ate s'mores for 5 days, that is a pan of veggies over the fire in the background. But again, NO CHILDREN, so I ate s'mores first because I am embracing living my best life.


Have you heard of the Haida Gwaii balancing rock? No? Well, now you've not only heard of it, you have seen a picture of it. You're welcome. No need for you to leave your couch now.


Here is some blue sky and blue water. I only took this picture because it was so pretty to look at. It in no way will provoke a memory of my time on the island.


But this picture? This picture means something. These are the skies that I saw every day. This picture will remind me that every morning I woke up in a puddle and that it was still ok. This picture will remind me that rain is not bad, it is just wet.


Some highlights from the past 5 days include:

- waking up in puddles in my tent, but still not sleeping in the car because I am an optimist.
- meeting new friends who I am going to stay with when I'm in Edmonton.
-the best s'mores EVER.
- the beaches.
- super yummy food at the two different places I stopped to eat at (when you travel, ask a local where they like to eat - seldom will they steer you wrong.).
- joining camping neighbours for a beer and a fire (but not the super duper s'mores, because hello?? NO sharing required and what they don't know they aren't missing out on...).
- being visited every day by the raven and the eagle.

(side note* have you ever seen a raven?? They are HUGE! The first time I heard him, I thought it was an eagle and I ducked because he sounded very close. Then he landed in one of my trees and hung out for a while. When he left every day, the eagle would cruise by to check things out. They were like clockwork. Interestingly, when I visited the, very well put together, Haida Gwaii Museum, I learned that the Haida people are in two clans - one led by Raven and one led by Eagle. The clans are kept in harmony with one another by marriages between the clans. Much of the Haida culture/traditions/oral history is based on stories of The Raven. After learning all this, I was humbled that raven and eagle visited me every day.)

Let's resume the list....

- my campsite being crashed in to by a family of Bernese Mountain dogs (Kenzie -mom, 3 yrs old; Bruno -son, 1yr old; Bella - daughter, 3 months old). They stayed and played for a while. Their mom and dad are ranchers in Kamploops and they know my rancher family very well - small, small world!


- reading so many books.
- just sitting in silence.
- writing.
- having some anger management therapy chopping wood. I really got in to it. Like my shoulder hurt the next day. But it felt so good, that I offered to chop my new friends' wood too.
- sleep - so much sleep.
- building rock towers - some were taller than others and it is harder than it looks!


For my first day and a half I felt like Cameron Diaz's character Amanda in the movie The Holiday. Remember when she arrives at Iris' little English cottage and she wanders around aimless and lost? She had no idea what to do with herself? Well that was me. Sitting at a picnic table, drumming my fingers on the table top, humming Yankee Doodle Dandee (what the heck is up with that??) and lining up little rocks in a line to flick over the edge (am I an 8yr old boy?). I was LOST and slightly panicky - 5 days with absolutely nothing to do and no where to go, seemed like an eternity. But I rallied and found my sweet spot in the rhythm of the days and did just fine. Actually, it was hard to pack up and leave today...

I think that about wraps it up. I'm sure there is more I could say, but it wouldn't be very interesting, so I'll spare you.

Before I go, let's update the wildlife count.
13 more deer
2 more gophers
1 raven
1 eagle
1 sea otter
1 pod of orcas
2,902,438 mosquitoes (they weren't so bad on the island so the count didn't go up too much)
1 billion noseeums (approximate count)

Tonight I am back at the little, sketchy motel in Prince Rupert and tomorrow I start the trek north. I am continuing on in rain and from the looks of the forecast, will be camping in rain for the next 3 days at least. Sigh.

No idea when the next update will be. My best guess is when I land in Whitehorse next week. It's hard to believe I've been gone almost 2 weeks! 7 more to go...



Comments

  1. Sweet bernese family....my favorite dog. Cool beach all to yourself and the plant life, so lush (thank you rain!) I have goose bumps hearing how raven and eagle took turns watching over you. Thanks for sharing Diane!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts